We recently had some friends over for dinner who were following a strict low-carb diet. To say that I was feeling a bit out of my comfort zone as I planned the menu is an understatement, but I was surprised to discover an incredible amount of delicious options. (Cauliflower rice, anyone?) And although I was still a bit nervous when I finally served up the meal, I need not have worried: Every dish was a hit—including (especially!) an avocado and banana trifle. And since this unlikely dessert creation was the star of the show, I felt it would be rude not to share it. Give it a go, guys: This is the best no-carb dessert I’ve ever made (and tasted)—and it is a cinch to make, too.
BANANA AND AVOCADO TRIFLE
(Makes 4 servings)
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ ripe banana (not black though)
- ¾ cup of coconut cream
- 1 tbsp of lime juice
- 1 pinch of lime zest
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 ½ oz of fresh raspberries
- 2 oz pecan nuts, ideally roasted
- Mix the raspberries and half of the vanilla together in a bowl
- Mix together the avocado, banana, coconut cream and half of the vanilla together in a separate bowl
- Next you need to layer the trifle into glass dishes alternating the raspberries with the avocado & banana cream
- Top with the roasted pecans and serve chilled
Pro tip: Being English, we do love our sherry trifle, so in the spirit of good ol’ Blighty, I added a sherry tipple to the raspberries and vanilla essence. Heavenly.
Like us on Facebook!