Whenever I make anything with zoodles, I typically default to a marinara sauce of some kind, along with ground beef, pork or Italian meatballs. This time, I wanted something different. I was craving pesto but I knew I didn’t have many of the traditional ingredients needed. So, I got creative with my immersion blender and the avocados that were (finally, yet only for another few seconds!) ripe.
Let me back up real fast to zoodles. Some of you may be asking what?! Zoodles= Zucchini Noodles. Zucchini makes a great substitute for those eating a low carb or Paleo diet. They also work well for all vegan and vegetarians who are also gluten-free. With the help of a spiralizer (you can grab one on Amazon for under $30), you can create slightly-thicker-than-spaghetti type noodles that are a delicious option for when you want to recreate those traditional pasta dishes! Trust me, you’ll be hooked.
This is super high in the good fats, so if you’re doing keto or any variation of high fat Paleo, this is an easy go-to. I only ended up using about ¼ of the batch of pesto so it will be great for the rest of the week. Add it to scrambled eggs, marinade some chicken in it, and even use it as a dip for veggies!
CREAMY AVOCADO PESTO ZOODLES
THE ZOODLES & MEAT
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- 4-5 zucchini
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Start off by peeling your zucchini, and then use your spiralizer to make zoodles. Put them into a bowl and put 1 teaspoon salt on top. Mix it around and then lay paper towels in the bowl on top. This will help draw out the extra moisture. Leave them alone for 20-30min.
- Meanwhile, sauté’ ground beef with your choice of cooking fat over med-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and stir until well-mixed. Cook until slightly browned. Set aside.
- Next, make your super simple avocado pesto. (Recipe and directions below!)
- After this is prepped, head back to your zoodles, stick them in colander and rinse thoroughly with water to rinse off all salt. Use paper towels to squeeze the excess moisture out. (Don’t worry about getting it all.)
- Next, in your heated pan, on low heat, sauté the zoodles while dry for 2-3min until slightly soft.
- Turn off the heat, add the ground beef and pesto sauce, and mix together. Voila!
- 2 avocados
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoons pepper
- Put all of this into a jar and use your immersion blender for 30 sec-1min or into a food processor!
- Add additional salt, pepper or basil to taste. (I tend to like things more on the salty side.)
Like us on Facebook!