Here’s a fun fact: The key to feeling nourished and balanced doesn’t (and shouldn’t) come only from the physical act of eating food. We also absorb the environment around us through taste, touch, smell, sound, and sight, meaning we are actually “eating” (or obtaining nourishment) with all five of our senses all day long—mealtime or not.
If you can consciously think about how to “treat” all these areas and senses with respect, you’ll find your whole soul can be nourished outside of the context of food.
Here, five ways to nourish your body, mind and spirit.
1. Consider your relationships. No matter how old you are, you’re too old for crappy relationships. So figure out which ones give you energy, and which ones suck your energy. Distance yourself from the latter and nurture the ones that make you feel good about yourself.
2. Embrace your environment. You absorb your surroundings; it affects your mood and your energy. If you are in an office all day, you should make it a priority to walk outside to feel that sunshine and light breeze on your face.
3. Foster in-person connections. It’s the age of the internet. It’s easy to hide behind your computer and connect with people on social media, but it’s important for us as humans to have face-to-face connections with others. Plan a girls/guys night, get a foursome for a golf game, join a running club or a book club, ask a friend to sunbathe with you.
4. Get some sleep. Nothing compares or replaces this simple gift. It refreshes and restores your entire body system, so you are in a better functioning body each day.
5. Prioritize movement. Exercise and/or moving your body releases endorphins, which makes you happy and energized. It keeps the oxygen circulating through your system, so you feel alive and refreshed.
All of this is to say: There is more to life than food! There are areas in our lives that need just as much attention and love as eating in order to have a body that functions at an optimal level! So go on, guys: Nourish your WHOLE SELF!
Like us on Facebook!