When I want something quick at the end of a long day, this easy-breezy stuffed portobello mushroom recipe is my go-to. It’s healthy, it fills me up, and it doesn’t take too much effort. Oh, and it’s DELICIOUS.
STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM RECIPE
• 1/3 cup rinsed and dry quinoa
• 2/3 cup water
• 4 large Portobello mushrooms with the caps removed
• 2 good handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• Salt & pepper to taste
• 1 cup vine-ripe tomatoes
• 1/2 cup blue cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush the mushrooms with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and place open-side up on a baking tray and cook the mushrooms for 10 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, add the quinoa and water to a pot, and cook until the quinoa has absorbed the water. Turn off the heat and cover. (Alternatively, if I want to be ultra-quick, I love to use Merchant Gourmet ready-cooked red & white quinoa.)
- Once the mushrooms have had their ten minutes, remove from the oven and drain the mushrooms of any excess liquid.
- Add the spinach to the base of the mushrooms before crumbling the blue cheese and adding the quinoa, filling the mushrooms.
- Top the mushrooms with the tomatoes, and pop back into the oven for approximately 10 – 12 minutes until the mushrooms are tender, the quinoa is slightly toasted and the cheese has melted.
- Eat immediately with a small side salad if you wish. (Although to be honest, two of these mushrooms are more than enough to appease my hunger.) Enjoy!!
Looking for more delicious vegetarian recipes to try? How about…
Like us on Facebook!