When it comes to hydrating and replenishing that dry skin, there are a ton of natural remedies available—most of which you likely already have somewhere in your home. So no need to shell out the big bucks for that overpriced night cream or slather on a chemical-laden serum before bed: Here, four of the most effective natural remedies for dry skin.
1. Honey With strong antioxidant and antimicrobial qualities, honey is incredibly moisturizing when used anywhere on the body. Its vitamins and minerals aid in creating soft and smooth skin, replenishing the feel of the surface while also working deep within your pores.
- Smooth and moisturize your entire body by coating it over your skin and leaving for ten minutes (or longer). Wash off in a warm shower.
- Make a face/body mask of honey, cinnamon and sea salt, leave on for however long you desire, then scrub off as an exfoliator in the shower. This helps to remove dead skin cells and restore suppleness and skin tone.
2. Coconut Oil Of course coconut oil is on the list. One of the most multi-faceted natural remedies for cooking, medicine, beauty products, cleaners and everything in between, coconut oil is also a wonderful tool for replenishing moisture. Made of omega-3 fatty acids and with a high content of vitamin E, it nourishes dry skin instantly.
- As coconut oil is more readily absorbed into the skin when warm, use in a warm shower (add with sugar or salt as a natural scrub), or coat body straight after a shower.
- For a deeper impact, smooth on before sleeping, and leave on over night.
3. Avocado More than just a delicious salad addition, avocado is rich with the kind of fatty acids, antioxidants and vitamins that work to restore moisture. It’s especially high in vitamin A, which helps with skin repair and rejuvenation.
- Mix into a thick paste (optional to add some oil) and apply onto any area of the body, leaving for 15 minutes (or longer) before washing off.
- Mix with honey and apply as a face mask a few times a week. (Warning: You will smell delicious.)
4. Aloe Vera There’s a reason why after-sun gel touts aloe vera as a main ingredient: The succulent is one of the most soothing natural remedies for cracked, damaged and dry skin. With its antiseptic and anti-fungal properties, it works to hydrate sunburnt areas and sores, and provides a nourishing inner-pore, deep moisture soak for any area of the body.
- Squeeze the gel from a fresh cut leaf and put directly onto affected area.
- Use as a regular face mask, again, mixing with your choice of honey, coconut oil, etc.
Ultimately, you are what you put into AND onto your body. One of best natural remedies for dry skin? Water. Drink even more than you think you should, and from the inside out you’ll be hydrated and glowing with health.
Like us on Facebook!