A big ol’ bowl of hearty vegetable soup is the perfect end to a long January day, is it not? It’s also, helpfully, a great way to get those essential nutrients without having to chow down on plates of vegetables. And perhaps the best news: It’s simple to make — and easily customizable, based on what you like and don’t like. Here, my go-to vegetable soup recipe. (I have a feeling it will soon be yours, too.)
HEARTY VEGETABLE SOUP
- 1-2 chopped medium carrots
- 2-3 chopped celery sticks
- 2-3 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1-2 chopped medium leeks
- 2-3 sliced and diced tomatoes
- 2-3 peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1-2 chopped brown onions
- 1-2 chopped medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons of coconut or olive oil
- 3 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup of water
- Put a bit of cooking oil in a large pot and heat.
- Add the onion and garlic. Cook until translucent, around two minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, except the tomatoes. Cook until brown and soft, around five minutes.
- Add the stock, diced tomatoes and water.
- Bring the whole mixture to a boil, and let it simmer for a period of 30 – 40 minutes at low heat.
- Once the vegetables are cooked and the soup fragrant, add the mixture to the blender — or serve chunky with some warm sourdough bread. (YUM.)
And there you have it: A chunky vegetable soup recipe to soothe you on a cold winter’s day.
Like us on Facebook!