It’s that time of year again, when, more often than not, it’s too hot to eat anything more than a crisp, cold salad. And although I can remember a time when I found lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber (the limits of my childhood salad experience) incredibly boring, I’ve since fallen in love with the versatility of the ingredients that make up these quick, easy and satisfying meals.
This summer salad recipe, in particular, is my favorite, thanks to the added refreshment of fruit.
SUMMER SALAD RECIPE
- 1 ruby or pink grapefruit
- ½ ripe avocado
- 2 large handfuls of watercress, spinach and rocket
- 2 rashers of rindless smoked back bacon
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Peel and segment the grapefruit, put into a bowl with any juice.
- Slice the avocado and combine with the leaves and grapefruit.
- Trim off any visible fat off the bacon rashers and cut them into two centimeter-wide strips.
- Heat the oil and then fry the bacon for 3-4 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Scatter the bacon over the salad.
- Add the water and balsamic vinegar to the hot frying pan and stir until combined.
- Drizzle over the salad and serve immediately.
A few more summer recipes you don’t want to miss:
Like us on Facebook!